Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Interview with Bev Pettersen @BevPettersen

The Digital Ink Spot interviewed Bev Pettersen, author of Thoroughbreds and Trailer Trash, as well as other titles. Bev Pettersen is an award-winning writer and two-time finalist in the Romance Writers of America’s Golden Heart® Contest. She competed for five years on the Alberta Thoroughbred race circuit and is an Equine Canada certified coach. Presently, she lives in Nova Scotia with her husband and two teenagers. When she’s not writing novels, she’s riding.
Visit her at www.BevPettersen.com.
Follow her on Twitter: @BevPettersen



The Digital Ink Spot: What can you tell readers about your book, Thoroughbreds and Trailer Trash?
Bev Pettersen: On the way to visit an equine wellness facility, I drove through some lovely horse country with lush fields and perfect white rail fences. Beautiful Thoroughbreds happily ate grass while on the other side a scruffy pony poked his nose under the fence, reaching for a few stolen bites. It was easy to imagine an owner struggling to make ends meet, while living next to a field of pampered horses.
A fictional wellness center is the setting for this book. It offers many helpful therapies, including infrared, whirlpools, massage and an oxygen chamber. The heroine is a masseuse who doesn’t care about the background or breeding of an animal; she just wants to help animals. However the new owner has more profit-oriented goals and scorns her and her ailing pony…at first.

The Digital Ink Spot: What process did you go through to come up with the title?
Bev Pettersen: Thoroughbreds developed from an elite world of money and breeding, both human and horses, and I wanted a title that that portrayed two opposing worlds. Plus I love alliteration.

The Digital Ink Spot: Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Bev Pettersen: It’s sometimes challenging to write on a warm sunny day when I’d really prefer to be riding. However a quick trip to the barn often re-energizes and helps me write once I’m back in the office.

The Digital Ink Spot: Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
Bev Pettersen: I learned that I’m not a plotter. I like to let the people and horses lead the book and if I try to follow too strict an outline, the writing can bog down. I’m not always sure what the characters are going to do and the horses are even less predictable. It’s very tough for me to hurt an animal. I want that happy ending.

The Digital Ink Spot: What can readers expect from you in the future?
Bev Pettersen: I love to write entertaining books with a mixture of horses, romance and mystery. That combination will vary but as long as people want them, I’ll continue to write. I’m very grateful to my readers for making this career possible.

 Other works by Bev Pettersen


And feel free to share this post via your social network of choice. Let's help these authors get the word out to other readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment