Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Interview with Rita Avaud A.Najm

Digital Ink Spot: Please introduce yourself to our readers.

My name is Rita Avaud A.Najm. I am an American-Lebanese mother of two amazing boys. I was born and raised In Ashrafiyeh, Lebanon, one of the eastern parts of Beirut. Because of France’s mandate over Lebanon following World War I, French became the second language in Lebanon. I never thought that I would teach the language that I’ve studied and used for more than 20 years until I came to Utah. I felt so glad to know that many public and private schools in Salt Lake County offer a dual immersion French program. This fact encouraged me to teach French and to start writing my “La Petite Rita,” a series of stories about a French little girl, who came from Paris to live with her family in the United States of America.

Digital Ink Spot: At what age did you realize your fascination with books? When did you start writing?

Before Utah, I lived for more than five years in Houston, Texas. I even went back to college there and studied Business Management. Since I was working at one of Houston’s school libraries, I decided that my graduation project should be a guide for parents and teachers to encourage students to read more poetry and non-fiction books. My Guide and “La Petite Rita” were not my first books. I actually
started writing when I was 7 years old. My humble works were mostly plays, song lyrics, and Arabic poetry. My mom bought me at this age many of the children’s series of “Martine.” This very famous French book series, written by the Belgians Marcel Marlier and Gilbert Delahaye, has sold about 100 million copies and is one of the best-selling book series. I’ve always loved these stories and their beautiful colorful illustrations. I hope that “La Petite Rita” will become as famous as “Martine” and also “La Madeline.”

Digital Ink Spot: We learned that you have been writing since a child. If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?

I wish that I can go back in time and save all my writings, my essays and scratch note books that had all of my ideas and thoughts. I wish I wrote more and kept all my beautiful innocent joyful moments and my silliest odd scribbles. Now I try my best to remember and to make from my memories and my adventurous stories, a cute way to teach children about good morals and right conduct, while entertaining them and teaching them some common French words.



Digital Ink Spot: We also learned that you illustrate your own stories. Which comes first, the illustrations or the stories?

Stories always come first followed by illustrations that are usually to show the story and details of the characters mostly.

Digital Ink Spot: How is the creative process of painting and writing similar and different?

Writing and painting are both art. That’s my personal opinion. They both hold a message. They both show your own thoughts and the details of your creative mind and imagination. Tools might be different; one needs a brush, while the other needs a pencil. Writing and painting need you to be gifted and talented first... To master both, you need willingness to learn and practice. In painting, happiness or sadness can be seen in colors. In writing, these feelings are read. Yet paintings can make
viewers visualize something different then what the artist was trying to express or show in his painting. Any view, anything, an animal, a landscape, a beautiful face or a unique object can inspire an artist to draw a painting. But not everything you see deserves to have a book written about it. Another particular thing about writing is that you can fix any mistake; you can reread it and edit it as much as you can, as well as adding ideas or more actions and characters to your work anytime. When it comes to painting, once your work is done, it will be difficult to remove or change anything.

Digital Ink Spot: Where do your children stories come from?

My “La Petite Rita” stories are mostly about my childhood. Some are about my children, like “Rita’s Art Project,” one of the first volume stories. “Rita” in this story is actually my son who likes to draw, and the mother volunteer who gives art classes is actually me, who usually volunteers at my children school and teaches art and reads stories about the masters of art. Besides the two volumes of “La Petite Rita,” I have many Stories ready and waiting to be published. Some are fiction ones, full of imagination and creativity yet they all have a message and a lesson for a better conduct. Imagination is the key!

You can follow me or connect with me:
www.facebook.com/rita.aouad.9
www.instagram.com/rita.a.a.n

No comments:

Post a Comment