Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Interview with Nadina Boun @nadinaboun

Nadina Boun has been influenced by the 17th and 18th century French authors and playwrights such as Racine, Corneille, Moliere, as well as LaFontaine, Rousseau and Beaudelaire as well as her favorite, Shakespeare. You can see the classic form of poetry in her poetry collection, A Heartstorm: a window to the soul in poetic forms. She has been writing for more than 12 years in genres including poetry, short stories and fiction. Her first publication is a satire short story called The Thinking Man, Paralysis by Analysis.

The Digital Ink Spot:
You have studied classic literature. How does it influence your style?

Nadina Boun: Yes, I have studied French literature. As such I write long complex sentences with much detail like the French. As I have learnt to read, I also prefer writing in rhymed verse even when I write plays. I also tend to follow the old poetry style and layout when writing.

The Digital Ink Spot: In your book, A Heartstorm. You subtitled it: a window to the soul in poetic forms. Was it hard to expose so much of yourself?

Nadina Boun: Given that a poem is a feeling in my opinion, I wanted to shield these feelings for a very long time, but on the rare occasions when I had the opportunity to witness the reaction of some readers, I realized that we all have feelings. It was hard of course but it was also a collection of many years passed, during which I have grown and matured through pain as well as understanding. If another can learn something from these poems then it would be a pleasure to have laid them out in the open. Now these feelings are no longer mine, for letting them out meant also letting them go. Now they are the readers' to interpret as they wish.

The Digital Ink Spot: The poems in this collection, did you write them in the heat of the moment or are they more reflections?

Nadina Boun:
I never know when I am about to write a poem. I will have to say they were a combination of both; a reaction that has stirred an emotion that I needed to record in words, or perhaps an idea or thought or analysis that fluttered in my mind's vision and has propelled me to write it down.

The Digital Ink Spot: You describe yourself as, "I am the rebel, the lonesome warrior and the butterfly." What does this mean to you?

Nadina Boun: I am the rebel because I rarely follow and always question, the lonesome warrior that we all are, for alone we fight our battles, and the butterfly because I am always in need of change and always in search for something new. It is merely how I came to understand myself to be.

The Digital Ink Spot: What can we expect from you this year?

Nadina Boun: I already have the counter part of "A Heartstorm" ready for the month of love and lovers, a book dedicated to the positive and inspirational side of love: The four letters of Love due for release on January 31st on Amazon.
I am not sure what is next, poetry or else, but I can say that in the past two years my style of writing has also changed, so that my new poetry may not look at all like my growing pain collection and will include much more universal thoughts or brutal reality truths (as my friend likes to say).



More information on Nadina Boun and her books can be found at her website, nadinaboun.wordpress.com.

1 comment: