Sunday, May 25, 2014

Interview with Kevin Chapman @lollujo

The Digital Ink Spot would like to welcome Kevin Chapman and allow him to introduce himself to you.
Kevin Chapman: I spent the early part of my twenties holding down a sensible grown up job as a financial advisor and living a sensible grown up life with my wife and kids. I left my job when the financial crisis happened in 2008 and shortly after, got divorced, became a minor internet celebrity, moved my new partner in, got a first class honours degree in computing, became a teacher and started writing books about it all. I claim it’s not an early onset mid-life crisis. I live in Peterborough, UK with my fiancee, three kids, a cat and a dog called Dave.

The Digital Ink Spot: What are you trying to accomplish as a writer?
Kevin Chapman: I'm trying to entertain people. I've hosted a number of successful comedy podcasts over the last four years, and did my first live comedy show last year, with another one coming up in July this year. Writing seemed like the natural extension to all of that. Obviously I wouldn't ever suggest that I'm not interested in making from it, of course that'd be lovely, but I'm just about break even after four years of podcasting and blogging, so as long as I don't end up losing my house because of writing books, I'll consider that a job well done...

The Digital Ink Spot: Tell us about your latest book?
Kevin Chapman:  My first book, Best Thing From, is an irreverent memoir / Q&A with my co-host from the podcasts and comedy partner Richard Bass, in which we answer questions sent in via Twitter on topics also selected by our followers. The first chapter is about crisps (or potato chips I guess to American readers), and we somehow get 12 pages out of that, which should set the tone for the rest of the book nicely.
We're currently writing the follow up to that book, and I've also got a couple of solo projects on the go, one of which might see the light of day before the end of the summer, but it's too early to go into too much detail about it at this stage.

The Digital Ink Spot: Where can readers find you, (social media, readings, blogs, your books)?
Kevin Chapman: I'm all over the internet! The best place to find me is on Twitter @lollujo, or via personal website kevinchapman.co.uk. If you're desperate to visit every section of the internet I inhabit, all the details can be found on my about page. Away from the internet I'm a bit harder to find, but I am doing a live comedy show and book signing in my home town of Peterborough, UK, on 19th July. Full details are available at maturegamerpodcast.com.

The Digital Ink Spot: Why should people read your stories. What sets them apart from the rest?
Kevin Chapman: We've been described as two of the funniest people on the internet, and both the book and podcasts have received overwhelmingly positive reviews. If you're into rambling anecdotes about watching Superman as a child and being overcharged at theme parks, then our book is definitely for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment